A blood group (also called blood type) can be defined as the grouping of blood based on the absence or presence of inherited antigenic substances on the surface RBCs (Red Blood Cells). The antigenic substances may be carbohydrates, proteins, glycolipids, or glycoproteins depending on the blood type system.
There are 4 main blood groups of human blood which are O, A, B, and AB. There are specific ways in which blood groups must be matched for a safe transfusion. Check the compatible blood type donors from the table mentioned below.
|Compatible Blood Type Donors
|Receive Blood From
|Donate Blood To
|A+, A-, O+, O-
|O+, A+, B+, AB+
|B+, B-, O+, O-
|A+, A-, AB+, AB-
|B+, B-, AB+, AB-
|AB-, A-, B-, O-
There are numerous interesting facts about blood group which you can enjoy learning. Some surprising facts about the blood running through your veins is given in the points below.
- More than 4.5 million lives are saved every year by blood transfusion.
- No one can get AIDS or any other infectious disease by donating blood.
- Blood type influences one’s personality.
- Your blood type can affect your fertility and belly fat.
- Anybody with a good health, at least 110 pounds, and at least 17 years old can donate blood every 2 months.
- Human blood has no other substitute.
- According to a survey, about 1 in 5 people admitted to the hospital need blood.
- The human blood makes 7% of a person’s body weight.
- A just born baby has only one cup of blood in his/her whole body.
- 13 tests out of which 11 tests are for infectious diseases are performed on each unit of the blood that is donated.
- Donating blood takes less than 15 minutes.
- Transfusion with a blood group different than yours can lead to complications.
Visit Biology Forums and join the online education discussion forum to get involved in the open discussion on various interesting biology topics. Subscribe to BYJU’S YouTube Channel to watch interactive videos on various science topics.